Our Achievements in 2018
We were and continue to be part of the unprecedented blue wave that engulfed New Jersey and most of the country in 2018 leading to the democratic majority in Congress. Bergen Indivisible for Democracy (BID) was an active member of the NJ grassroots movement and worked hand in hand with other progressive organizations such as NJ 5 Indivisible, NJ5 Coalition, Action Together NJ, Teaneck Women Together, JOLT Ridgewood, and NJ 11 For Change. We devoted much of our efforts in 2018 to the midterm elections, promoting voter registration and voter engagement, under the umbrella of our “Moving Toward Blue” campaign.
• In March 2018, we organized an event titled “How We’ll Win Back Congress” in co-operation with NJ 5 and NJ 11 For Change and the participation of Indivisible National, Elizabeth Juviler and Saily Avelenda of NJ 1, Jeff Fox of NJ 5 and Anna Wong and Patches Maggaro of NJ5 Coalition. Our efforts were noted by The Record, Bergen’s leading newspaper.
• During April and May 2018, we organized postcard writing parties “Keep/Flip Democratic” and with the help of our volunteers we sent more than 2,000 postcards to voters in districts NJ 5 and NJ 11 moving the needle left in both cases.
• In August and September 2018, in co-operation with Action Together NJ, we sent close to 2,000 Vote-By-Mail applications to Democrats in key districts asking them to vote early by mail in the midterm election.
• On September 22, 2018, during our all-day event “Reclaim Our Country: Empower Citizens to Vote,” our overarching message was that “it is the responsibility of each and every one of us to actively work to preserve our democracy, starting with voting in the midterm election on Nov. 6, 2018.
• During the fall and up to the November 6 midterm election we participated in door-to-door canvassing with our sister organizations NJ 5 Coalition, Teaneck Women Together, and ATNJ, having collectively knocked on 30,000 doors in our area reminding people to get out to vote.